Archive for May 2012

TextWorld Coming Along   Leave a comment

So the essential game loop of my initial TextWorld will be something like this: Respond to Player Input by performing the task associated with the link that was clicked. Run down the list of active mobiles, updating each one Check if the player’s location has changed, and update the Location text accordingly Check if the […]

Posted May 29, 2012 by Arthur Payne in TextWorld

Tagged with , , ,

Let’s Get These Kids Talking to Eachother   Leave a comment

So now that I’ve gotten over that bump from earlier, I still need to actually get this thing working. Right now I’ve got a basic interface set up with feeder text, but in order to have it interface with the TextWorld simulation, I’ve got to handle the link TextEvents it sends. I’m also somewhat worried […]

Posted May 26, 2012 by Arthur Payne in TextWorld

Tagged with , , ,

HaXe+NME is Back On!   Leave a comment

Finally got a reply on the NME forums; someone suggested I might be able to use the font tag to do what I wanted. I’m so used to CSS, it hadn’t occured to me that the font tag could be used that way. I’m going to give it a try right now. *try try try* […]

Posted May 25, 2012 by Arthur Payne in TextWorld

Tagged with ,

Big Problem with NME, Jumping Platforms Again   Leave a comment

So, despite going on about my l33tness, there’s some things I can’t or shouldn’t do. It turns out I’ve run into a very severe roadblock with HaXe+NME. Well, HaXe is great, the problem is with NME or specifically nme.text.TextField because you see, it doesn’t mimic all the functionality of flash.text.TextField and specifically it doesn’t have […]

Posted May 24, 2012 by Arthur Payne in TextWorld

Tagged with , , , , , ,

There are Four TextBoxes!   Leave a comment

Last time on ElectricSquirrel Z! I converted the scrollbar class from Flash to HaXe, which I can do because I am an elite hacker! Or an l33t haxxor, I guess. Well that might be an exaggeration, but considering how balls crazy this scrollbar system is, I think I have the right to be proud of […]

Posted May 21, 2012 by Arthur Payne in TextWorld

Tagged with , ,

New TextWorld Work   Leave a comment

It’s been quite a while since I’ve been able to do any work on my projects, and not for lack of trying! I’ve either been caught up in the Unitarian site (which is done and up at ) or preoccupied with something else. Games have been distracting; SWTOR and Anno2070 have been big contenders […]

Posted May 16, 2012 by Arthur Payne in TextWorld

Tagged with , , ,

TextWorld Progress   Leave a comment

Cheese and crackers! Before I started working earlier tonight, I cleaned up the desktop on my laptop. I’ve been doing stuff all night and now when I turn it on again and see the mostly empty desktop, it’s like a stark white barren plane! Anyways I’ve settled down from my anxiety and I’m going to […]

Posted May 3, 2012 by Arthur Payne in TextWorld

Tagged with , ,

NME TextWorld   Leave a comment

So I haven’t worked on my TextWorld project for a while, but after a week of doing web development for a local unitarian congregation, I dropped the beat on the A-Life and decided to pick up the Text again. From what I learned in the A-Life project, NME seems like the ideal target for my […]

Posted May 2, 2012 by Arthur Payne in TextWorld

Tagged with , , ,

Figuring Out HaxePunk   Leave a comment

Well, I’m trying to learn HaxePunk, which is a HaXe port of FlashPunk, but both are lacking something important. Good overview. Even pouring over the documentation doesn’t give me a good idea of what everything is and how they fit together. I’m able to figure out some things via the tutorials, and so I’m going […]

Posted May 2, 2012 by Arthur Payne in A-Life

Tagged with ,